History & Legend

View previous topic View next topic Go down

History

Post  Admin on Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:21 am

MUNICIPALITY : Sinait
PROVINCE : Ilocos Sur
REGION : I
CREATION : Named “SIN-NAIT” by Salcedo in 1575, a word in the local tongue
which means “CONTEST” and later in 1913 through a Municipal
Resolution adopted SINAIT as the official name to that effect.
BARANGAY : 44

LEGEND:
Before Magellan discovered the Philippines in 1521, the locality was only a small village of little over a hundred natives who were called Tirongs. By nature, these primitive inhabitants were sea-fearing warlike. In their fast and picturesque sailboats, they traveled to adjoining and distant places, most particularly to settlements and villages along the Ilocos Coast in Ilocos Norte, Ilocos Sur, La Union, Pangasinan and even Zambales. In those adventures, the “Tirongs “ always challenged the people encountered to tribal wars and fought small battles against them. Often, those sturdy and brave natives came out victorious. Even in their daily chores, those people showed their ferocious characteristics. When the renowned Iberians came, Salcedo was sent to explore and colonized the Ilocos territory during the early years of the Spanish regime, he found the “Tirongs” of Sinait in apogee of the social state. Small battles were daily occurrence so that in the year 1535, when the locality was organized and established as a “Pueblo” Salcedo named the new community as “SIN-NAIT”, a word in the local tongue which means “CONTEST”. As a pueblo, SINAIT embraced and included in its territorial limit such as distant places as RANCHERA DE PAUR”, now the Municipality of Nueva Era in Ilocos Norte and Southern barrios of Badoc of the same Province. The vast territory, however, was reduced to present 78 square kilometers. In the year 1575, the natives fully realized the hardships of pronouncing the term “SIN-NAIT” and to go away with the trouble, Salcedo declared that one of the letter “N” be dropped. Since then, this Municipality has been called “SINAIT”. Nevertheless, it was only in 1913 when the same was “deeded” by the government upon the initiative of the late Don Calixto Cabacungan so that the Municipality Council enacted a resolution to that effect, that SINAIT was adopted as official name of the community to which said resolution was duly approved by the Provincial board of Ilocos Sur and by the Defunct Philippine Legislature.


GLORIOUS PAST:
Sinait takes pride in being the sanctuary of the miraculous crucifix known as “Apo Lakay-the treasure of Ilocandia. It is a life – size image of the Black Crucified Christ believed to have come from Nagasaki, Japan. The Black crucifix, together with a statue of the Blessed Virgin Mary were found inside a box floating along the boundary shores of Sinait and the adjacent town of Badoc (Ilocos Norte) in year 1620. The Black Christ was taken to the Catholic Church of Sinait and venerated as the “El Santo Cristo Milagroso”, while the Blessed Virgin Mary was taken to Badoc Church and known as the “La Virgin Milagrosa”. From the time on, devotion to the Santo Cristo Milagrosa spread specially when supposed various miracles were attributed to it. Every Friday, many people from near and far flock to its sanctuary in Sinait. In 1656, the Black Crucifix was taken to the capital town of Vigan, since an epidemic was raging there and through the devotion of the faithful, many got cured. Because of this, it is considered as an intercessor of all kinds of affliction and sickness. In 1660 because of the growing veneration to the image, the faithful begun the construction of a permanent edifice to house it. It took the people of Sinait eight ( 8 ) years to construct the church with funds provides by the Spanish Audiencia.
avatar
Admin
Admin
Admin

Posts : 10
Join date : 2007-10-01
Age : 42
Location : Sinait

View user profile http://sinait.niceboard.biz

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum